Re: st: Re: ivprobit not converge

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: ivprobit not converge
Date   Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:55:44 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Fri, 20/8/10, xueliansharon wrote:
> But when I run the ivprobit model many times with the same
> codes and data set, it converges sometimes. And the
> parameter estimates are similar in those converged cases.
> So are these coefficients reliable?

I would be reluctant. The maximization algorithms used by
Stata are pretty good, so the fact that -ivprobit- sometimes
does not converge is for me reason enough to suspect that
your model tries to extract more information than the data
contains.

So I will stick to my earlier recomendation, which is to
start with a very simple model, and add complexities step
by step, till you see this non-converging behaviour, and
see if you understand why the complexity you added last
causes trouble. Once you understand why this problem
occurs, you can make an informed decision whether or not
you need to do something about it, whether or not you can
do something about it, and what that something might be.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie