Re: st: Japanese labels in the data file

From   Ekaterina Hertog <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Japanese labels in the data file
Date   Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:34:18 +0200

Dear Sergiy,
Thank you very much for the clarification. I knew that Stata did not support Asian scripts, but the other day I received a dataset from a Japanese collaborator which was completely unreadable and I excitedly lept to a conclusion that Stata now reads Japanese fonts and I just do not have the necessary support on my computer. Your clarification made me I now that those must have been just very interestingly corrupted latin letters. I will try to figure out what the problem is.
Thank you,
Ekaterina

Radyakin wrote:
Dear Ekaterina,

let me quote the explanation from the CircleSystems, manufacturer of
Stat\Transfer. from their FAQ on Unicode and character encoding as
applied to this program and datasets it works with:
http://www.stattransfer.com/faq/encoding.html

// ---------- BEGIN QUOTE

Q. What about Stata?

A.Unfortunately Stata does not support Unicode and does not support
other multi-byte character sets, such as those necessary for Far
Eastern Languages. If you are working with a data set in which all of
the strings are in a language that can be represented by single byte
characters (all European languages) just choose the appropriate output
encoding. However, if your dataset contains strings in Far Eastern
langages or multiple languages that use different character sets, you
will simply not be able to properly represent all of the strings and
will need to live with underscores in your data.

You might also want to let the Stata people know that Unicode support
is important to you
// ---------- END QUOTE

Hope this helps.
Sergiy Radyakin

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Ekaterina Hertog