Re: st: create local macros named after the values of a categorial variable

Subject   Re: st: create local macros named after the values of a categorial variable
Date   Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:14:37 -0400

Hi, Oliver,

I am not sure what exactly you want to achieve (beyond generating the
codes, how are they going to be used), but the second way is wrong.
note that if the code of a city happens to be less than your N, then
it will override some other code.

See it with the city codes 3,5,7.
For code 3 (i=1) your code would state smth like:
local 3 = 1
and this will override the [still unprocessed] local 3 which holds the value 7.

Deleting the "macros no longer needed" is not correct, since they may
coincide with the codes (in your data you may be sure they don't but
what if the codes change next year?).
Note that the program you've posted does not print the output message
correctly, but only:
For City Code 1 the value of the local macro is
For City Code 2 the value of the local macro is
For City Code 3 the value of the local macro is

which is not what you want, so don't self-destruct what you constructed.

If it is absolutely necessary to use locals (e.g. not matrices) put a
prefix and generate locals city101=1, city103=2, city105=3,....=N

The following code should be sufficient for your task:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
levelsof `varname',local(levs)
forval i=1/`:word count `levs'' {
  local city`:word `i' of `levs'' "`i'"
}
you can remove the "city" if you don't want the prefix for some reason
(the benefit of it is that you can "macro drop city*" when you don't
need them anymore, but locals are dropped anyways). However still
think why do you need the locals.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin