Re: st: RE: RE: Debugging: reporting line number of loop or do-file causing error

From   David Elliott <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Debugging: reporting line number of loop or do-file causing error
Date   Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:06:31 -0300

As possibly one of the "intermittent discussants" regarding do-file
debugging of whom Nick speaks, I have taken the approach of "adoizing"
do-files through use of an ado I call -dodebug-.  -dodebug- wraps the dofile
in ado code and runs it with -set trace on-.  One can follow all the macro
expansions and loops that occur.

Here is a brief listing showing options:

program define dodebug
version `c(version)'

*! version 1.0.3  2010.02.10
*! Run a dofile with trace functionality for debugging
*! by David C. Elliott
*!
*! syntax:
*! dodebug using dofilename [, depth(integer) hilite(string) number
version(real) more]
*! depth - set tracedepth, defaults to 1
*! hilite string - hilight text in trace, normally blank
*! number - sets nesting numbering on, normally blank
*! version - allows dofile to be run under version control
*! more - sets more on, normally off
*! Note: dofilename cannot have spaces or special characters

syntax using/ [, Depth(integer 1) Hilite(string) Number Version(real
`c(version)') More]

It still has some rough edges which is why I haven't made it available on
SSC yet, but I am happy to provide it to Beta testers if they wish to
contact me offlist.

DCElliott

David Elliott

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.
Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.
 -- Robert A. Heinlein (American science-fiction Writer, 1907-1988)