Re: st: national sample survey data (India)

From   Deepankar Basu <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: national sample survey data (India)
Date   Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:04:26 -0400

Thanks Abhimanyu for your message.

I did go through the documentation to understand the layout. Using that I prepared a dictionary file. Then I used the dictionary file to read in the data. I appended the 8 data sets to get the master data set.

Using the information provided in the documentation I also generated the weights.

To make sure I had read the data correctly I then tried replicating some results given in the NSS reports. For instance, I tabulated the distribution of MPCE (monthly per capita expenditure) at the all-India level and compared the mean of the distribution with the corresponding figure for average MPCE that appears in Table P5 (Report 508, NSS). My figures are way off!

That is what indicated that I must be either reading in the data incorrectly or not specifying the sample design properly.

Deepankar

Quoting Abhimanyu Arora <[email protected]>:

As far as I am aware of, NSS data is provided in notepad (.txt
format), (around 8 in number) that cover the whole of India. I think
there is an excel file provided with the data as well (apart from
survey documentation) which gives details on how the data is organized
(blocks and levels). The first step is to use the information in the
excel file to create a dictionary file for loading the .txt data into
stata (later one can append/merge the 8 datasets so obtained).