Re: st: logistic regression predictors

Subject   Re: st: logistic regression predictors
Date   Sun, 18 Jul 2010 10:24:21 -0400

With such a strong independently predictive group, logistic regression
will give poor predictions, because it assumes that all variables are
needed to predict for each individual. The solution is a tree-based
approach. The original reference is Breiman, L., J. H. Friedman, R. A.
Olshen, and C. J. Stone. 1984. Classification and Regression Trees. New
York: Chapman & Hall/CRC. Apparent Stata solutions are -boost-
("findit boost") and -cart- (from SSC). I say "apparent", because I've
not closely read the documentation for either. Non-commercial
solutions can be found in R and at
http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~loh/guide.html.

Steve

--