st: AW: Fitted probabilities using prvalue for logit model

From   "Marc Michelsen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: AW: Fitted probabilities using prvalue for logit model
Date   Fri, 16 Jul 2010 12:02:21 +0200

Dear all,

as I didn't get an answer to my problem below, I am trying to rewrite the
question more precisely/generally. The reference for the approach is the
following: DeAngelo, H., L. DeAngelo, and R. M. Stulz. "Seasoned equity
offerings, market timing, and the corporate lifecycle." Journal of Financial
Economics 95 (2009), 275-295. I am referring to the table on page 284.

I am estimating the fitted probabilities of a logit model at fixed levels of
the explanatory variables using -prvalue-. I have a benchmark model and
therefore also a benchmark probability of the event. Including my two dummy
variables in a second model specification (improves Peusdo-R2 and Chi2)
actually lowers the probability of the event. However, the probability
should increase if the dummy variables are coded 0 (dummy 1)/1 (dummy 2).
The probabilities are lower in all three possible combinations of the two
dummies. Although the coefficients of the logit model show the correct signs
and are statistically significant for one of the dummy variables.

Does anybody has a view on this?

Many thanks for considering this posting

Marc