AW: st: Chi-squared test for independence of observed and expected frequencies

From   "Marc Michelsen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: Chi-squared test for independence of observed and expected frequencies
Date   Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:22:40 +0200

Stas, Maarten,

many thanks for your comments.

The complete reference is: Dittmar, A., and A. Thakor. "Why do firms issue
equity?" Journal of Finance 62 (2007), 1-54.

You are totally right, the authors use this analysis only as an add-on /
robustness test. The main body of the paper are multivariate analyses.
Nevertheless, it would be quite helpful to determine the relative importance
of the two explanatory variables (dimensions), i.e. prior stock return
(divided into quartiles) and credit rating outlook (positive, negative,
stable). Do you have any idea how the authors have tested the significance
of each of the frequencies?

I will have a look at your three proposed alternatives and see how fancy
they are.

Regards
Marc