Re: st: Re: Equivalent to matcell in table

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Equivalent to matcell in table
Date   Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:37:22 +0000

<>

> I tried the following:
> reshape wide table1, i(Traded_Model) j(NewModel) string
> Then i get the error message Table12.3CL invalid name. Any suggestions where i am wrong?

You can't have a variable name with a period "." in it.  See "help varname".  You can subinstr() the period.

The data transformation you request in your posting below doesn't match your next posting with the .png images.   In the post below you've got indicators of the traded_models (1/0) after the reshape, but in the png files you've got some kind of count (?) of the traded_models after the reshape.

Here's a guess at what you might be looking for.   If not, please provide a more clear example/explanation.

****************!
//this first section creates the fake dataset you provided:
**run this in a new do-file editor window**

clear
inp str15(newmodel traded_model) table1
"expedition"	"2.3CL"			1
"montero_sport"	"2.3CL"			1
"200SX"			"200SX"			1
"4Runner"		"200SX"			1
"626"			"200SX"			2
"accord"		"200SX"			2
"alero"			"200SX"			1
"expedition"    "200SX"         1
"expedition"    "200SX"         1
end

//this cleans up the newmodel and traded_model vars:
replace newmodel = subinstr(newmodel, "_", " ", .)
replace newmodel = proper(newmodel)
replace traded_model = subinstr(traded_model, ".", "_", .)

//next, you need some identifiers to reshape with:
	**see help reshape
g id = _n
bys traded_: g modelid_ = _n

//reshape:
reshape wide modelid_, i(id) j(traded_) string
order newmodel
drop id

//change to 1's and 0's:
recode modelid_* (.=0) (1/max = 1)

	/*
This next  section assumes that you want to get this data to one record per newmodel,
and in doing so, that you want some kind of:
(1) indicator that the traded_model was traded for the newmodel, or
(2) count of the number of traded_models traded for each new model
	*/

ds modelid_*

foreach v in `r(varlist)' {
	**count of traded_models by newmodel**
		bys newmodel: egen `v'_count = total(`v')
	** indicate if each traded_model = 1**
		bys newmodel: egen `v'_m = max(`v')
		replace `v' = `v'_m if `v' < `v'_m
		drop `v'_m