st: RE: xtivreg2 weak-instrument-robust inference

Subject   st: RE: xtivreg2 weak-instrument-robust inference
Date   Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:12:00 +0100

Camden,

You haven't given us the regression output, but my guess would be that
you are using the cluster-robust covariance estimator, and that have as
many or more excluded instruments than you have clusters (or panel
units).

The artificial regression used for weak-ID-robust inference involves
testing all the excluded instruments.  If you have more excluded
instruments than clusters, you will run into problems because the
cluster-robust vcv won't be full rank.  In that case, the maximum number
of constraints you can test will be the number of clusters (minus 1, I
think), which isn't enough.

But this is just a guess!

--Mark

> Thank you all,
>

> Camden Roberts

registered under charity number SC000278.