Re: st: combining DHS surveys: what weights to use

From   SCHOUMAKER Bruno <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: combining DHS surveys: what weights to use
Date   Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:24:50 +0200

Do you want to do descriptivee analyses for the pooled data set (16 countries together) ?

In this case, I suppose you need to give greater weights to larger countries. Since all children of all women aged 15-49 are usually included in DHS, I would use the population of women aged 15-49 in a country to compute new weights. This population can be obtained from World Population Prospects online database.

The idea is to compute the sampling rate in each country (sample size of women aged 15-49 divided by the population aged 15-49), and to compute the country weight as the inverse of the sampling rate. Then multiply the orginal individual weights by the country weights.

*** in summary
Original weight in DHS : v005 (which should preferably be divided by 1 000 000) Country specific weight :CSW= P1549/n1549 (population aged 15-49 in the country / sample size of )
New weight : NW=v005*CSW

Use pweights in the analyses (weights will be normalized by Stata).

Hope this helps

Bruno