Re: st: competing risk

Subject   Re: st: competing risk
Date   Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:19:59 -0400

No wonder your question sounded familiar. There was a thread about
this topic two months ago:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-05/msg00990.html

I would add:

1. If there is censoring, the standard assumption is that censorship
within the interview is unrelated to outcome.  This assumption appears
to be shaky foryour data: Some losses to followup might have occurred
because subjects moved to accept employment. One might guess that this
is more likely if the new employment was open-ended.

2. If there is much censoring, you can make the analysis completely
transparent by adding a fourth outcome of "unknown" to the list and do
the multiple logistic analysis.

   1. Unemployed
   2. Fixed-term
   3. Open-ended
   4. Unknown  (no interview)

Now, when you are considering the probabilities of a final status, you
can run a sensitivity analysis. Allocate those in the unknown status
to one of the other three. This approach would also allow you to
examine predictors of missingness, even if these did not distinguish
among the first three statuses.

3. You can analyze employment status at each interview separately.
This will allow you to incorporate information on people who missed
earlier interviews and will give you some extra information.

4. You should check the sequence of reported employment status.
Changes between interviews might give you some insight about changes
within intervals. You do this by tabulating status at interview K
against status at interview J.  You will need to put data in "wide"
format to do this.  See -reshape-.

Steve

--
Steven Samuels