RE: st: How to test whether data follows Exp distribution?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to test whether data follows Exp distribution?
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:44:55 +0100

As I understand it, -reldist- could be useful with preliminary work. But other approaches suggested to date are simpler and more direct for the question asked.

While I am it, Tony's suggestion to me makes most sense if subsequently you are going to work with a log transform of the variable. Both procedures he mentioned are very indulgent of irregularities in the far tail. That may be exactly appropriate, or the opposite, depending on what follows.

Abhimanyu Arora

Just out of curiosity, can Ben Jann's -reldist- command be useful for
the purpose?

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Lachenbruch, Peter

> If I recall my basic math stat, log(Y) should be uniform if Y is exponential.  So you could check it that way.  A very simple idea would be to bin the logs and do a chi-squared gof test.

Maarten buis