st: RE: Re: Extracting specific elements from a matrix

Subject   st: RE: Re: Extracting specific elements from a matrix
Date   Mon, 5 Jul 2010 23:16:31 +0200

<>

Vectors are not really part of Stata parlance, I am afraid, which may well
be a shock for those who previously used other products.

When you say -generate-, you create a new column of data. If you want only
the first ten rows to be filled with data, as for the "y" variable in the
example, you can do that, but the rest (11 to _N) must contain something,
they cannot just be blank, as in some spreadsheet software products.

***
clear*
set obs 15
gen byte x=_n
gen byte y=_n in 1/10
***

You may also want to look at the -el()- function, btw.

HTH
Martin