st: RE: making data duplicate in terms of several variables in case of a given variable taking identical values

Subject   st: RE: making data duplicate in terms of several variables in case of a given variable taking identical values
Date   Mon, 5 Jul 2010 21:09:28 +0200

<>

***********
clear*

input str10(zipcode prefecture) int(towncode areacode)
"0010027"   "hokkaido"    100        1100
"0010029"   "hokkaido"    100        1100
"0010029"   "" 							.        .
"0010030"   "hokkaido"    100        1100
"0200822"   "iwate"     201        3201
"0200823"   "" 						.        .
"0200823"   "iwate"     201        3201
"0200831"   "iwate"     201        3201
end

compress
li, noo sepby(zipcode)

bys zipcode (prefecture towncode areacode): replace
prefecture=prefecture[_N]
bys zipcode (towncode areacode): replace towncode=towncode[1]
bys zipcode (areacode): replace areacode=areacode[1]
l, sepby(zipcode)

HTH
Martin