Re: st: How to svyset when strata are used in some groups and not others

Subject   Re: st: How to svyset when strata are used in some groups and not others
Date   Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:54:11 -0500

The biggest problem you have is that of the units and populations of
sampling and analysis.

What you told Stata was: "I have a population of patients admitted to
these hospitals in the given period of time".
You really did sample close to 100% of the population, which is the
patients in the hospitals in the first quarter of 2010, say. When you
talk about this population specifically, you can say something like,
"The average age in the [most common type of] hospitals is 45.3 with
the standard error due to sampling equal to 1.7, while the average age
in the [other three types of hospitals] is 48.7, 51.3 and 50.6, with
the standard error due to sampling equal to zero." When you talk about
finite populations, it is kinda naive to expect that their means will
be exactly the same, so H_0: means are the same is not a very sensible
one.

But what you, most likely, want to do is to generalize your findings
somehow to all potential patients in these hospitals, or to a longer
period of time. You can do this it two ways.

First, you can try to stay within the formal sampling paradigm, and
say, "I sampled d days out of one year" (which is what you indicate in
the end of your email). This will be the second stage of your sampling
procedure, with the first stage being sampling the hospitals (and
obtaining fpc = 0 in that stage). If you list all the patients in the
hospital on these days, without sampling them within the hospital
(your writing is unclear about this: you said that you sampled them,
but did not describe if that was random sampling, or what), then your
weight should be 365.2422/d. FPCs are only applicable to simple random
sampling, where they reflect how joint probabilities of selection
necessary to compute unbiased variance estimates simplify. Your
design, however, is rather of systematic sampling (which is a special
case of cluster sampling): you have d consecutive days, which can
hardly be thought of as a simple random sample of days in the year.
This leads to another estimation disaster: your variances are not
estimable, since, from survey statistics perspective, you have a
sample of size 1 cluster (i.e., only 1 d.f.).

This leaves you, I believe, with one option remaining, and that is to
talk about a hypothetical super-population of all patients who could
have been admitted to these hospitals in an unspecified period of
time. You have not observed that sort of population, so you have to
make a leap of faith and say, "I believe that these d days are
representative of what's going on in these hospitals, in general".
That's a more natural mode to be in when you talk about say logistic
regression, and that's the reason Steve S asked about what you want to
do with the data. So... you are now saying that there is a data
generating process that (i) created patients, (ii) allocated them to
hospitals. I would still tend to think that you want to treat
hospitals as fixed, though. Then when you conduct your inference with
respect to that process (rather than to a specific finite population),
you have to say that your population is potentially infinite, and you
took a sample from this population. This makes fpc's equal to 1: fpc =
1 - n/N = 1 - n/infinity = 1. (Why did you have the square root in
your fpc formula above?) The weights still need to be modified, as is
it still more likely to find a patient in the hospital if you've
observed this hospital for a longer period of time. So 365/d is still
a good weight to use... or 1000/d can be used if your projected period
to which you want to generalize is 1000 days. It does not matter in
the end when you analyze the means; the scale of weights is only
important when you estimate the total (i.e., the total number of
patients admitted to each type of the hospitals, or the total costs of
care), in which case your weights should be linked to the specific
period of time over which you calculate your admissions or costs.