Re: st: T-test and F-test

From   natasha agarwal <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: T-test and F-test
Date   Mon, 5 Jul 2010 13:57:20 +0100

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Roger Newson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yes. The data may be compatible with the possibility that the first
> difference is zero, and compatible with the possibility that the second
> difference is zero, but not compatible with the possibility that BOTH
> differences are zero. So, at least one of the differences seems to be
> non-zero, but the data are insufficient to be sure which one is non-zero, or
> to be sure that BOTH are nonzero.

So supposing I estimate a model reg y x z

now the t-stats on x and z are insignificant but when I perform a F
test, they both are jointly significant. So are you trying to say that
 because the data is unsure which one is non-zero (which I find it
confusing since the t-stats both reveal that they are insignificant)
or to be sure that Both are nonzero and hence the F might be
significant while t can be insignificant?

Thanks
Natasha