RE: st: Ginis for negative net worth

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Ginis for negative net worth
Date   Mon, 5 Jul 2010 13:42:50 +0100

Two points:

1. -inequal7- specifically warns you of zero or negative values. So, there is a strong flavour of caveat emptor to the indulgence.

2. There is no need for surmise or speculation about precisely what -inequal7- does as you can look at the code to find out. -viewsource inequal7.ado- gets you there.

Nora Müller

thank you very much for your advice!

But inequal7 (as well as ineqdec0) says, that it uses values equal and
smaller than zero in calculating the gini coefficient and therefor I
thought that it already uses a special algorithm for such values so that
the range of the gini coefficients still is [0;1].

The article you mentioned I already read, but thank you for the advice.

So finally I'll try to work with the absolte gini now.