Re: st: AW: If-condition

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   "<[email protected]>" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: AW: If-condition
Date   Sat, 3 Jul 2010 13:35:34 +0000

Mareike wrote:
>  by idcode: g insample = 1 if  var1!=. & var2!=. & _n ==_N
> But if for a certain country the latest observation available is for
> example 2005, 'insample' doesn't display a "1" but still a missing value.

Sounds like Stata is doing exactly what you ask of it.  Your code tells Stata to mark insample==1 within each idcode only if all the conditions are true:
var1 and var2 are missing AND the observation is that last one in the panel (not the last NONMISSING observation in a panel--which is what you really want).

I'm not sure how to do this in a single line of code, but expanding my previous example, here's one way to do it:

************************
webuse union, clear

//setup the example data//
keep idcode year age black union south
replace year = 1900+year
       **
ds year idcode, not
foreach x in `r(varlist)' {
       bys idcode: egen ln_mean_`x' = mean(`x')
       drop `x'
   }

//new:  create missing var1 var2 var//
forval n = 1/2 {
	g var`n' = runiform()*1000
	**create some missing data in var**
	qui su var`n', d
	replace var`n' = . if var`n'<r(p50)
	}

//create "insample" indicator for last obs in panel//
sort idcode year
by idcode: g insample = 1 if _n ==_N

	//new:  fix insample where var1 and var2 are missing to be last NONMISSING observ//
	by idcode: g i = 1 if mi(var1) & mi(var2)
	by idcode: replace insample = 1 if i[_n+1]==1==insample[_n+1]
	by idcode: replace insample = . if mi(var1) & mi(var2)
	drop i

**check this**
	li if insample==1 & mi(var1) & mi(var2), clean
	ta year insample, miss

//use "insample" to select the last observation, despite the year//
regress ln_mean_age ln_mean_south ln_mean_union ln_mean_black if insample==1

~ Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute