Re: st: autocorrelated panel data with pweights

From   Mike Perry <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: autocorrelated panel data with pweights
Date   Thu, 1 Jul 2010 15:48:51 -0700

Thanks for that response.  I'm still digesting the second paragraph,
but let me mention something that might clarify the issue a little.
The data is hourly electricity usage data over several hundred
customers over the course of several months.  I agree that clustering
above the customer level could be important, but I think that the
autocorrelation in the usage within customers is far more important.
So this isn't standard survey data.
We'd like to use probability weights because we'd like to oversample
particular types of customers because they are rare but influential.
We'd like to estimate their impact precisely.  In the end, we'd like
regression parameters that are scaled up to the whole population,
rather than our stratified sample.

I may be misunderstanding your second paragraph, but are you saying
that there's no role for fixed effects in models with pweights?  Isn't
there a role for weighting the contributions of each panel after the
mean values have been removed?

thanks,
Mike