st: RE: How to perform a non parametric manova

From   "Hoffman, George" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: How to perform a non parametric manova
Date   Wed, 26 May 2010 08:33:36 -0500

Nick Cox replied to a similar question (how to make manova valid on data with non-parametric distributions) a few years back as follows:

"I find some inconsistency in this request. After all, what would a non-parametric MANOVA look like except something like a MANOVA, except that your data have been transformed to ranks? If you are happy to reduce your data to ranks, why cavil at some other transformation, which typically would lose less information?

Further, my visceral instinct is that MANOVA is more robust to non-normality than people fear.

More positively, if this were my problem, I might do

1. MANOVA on original data
2. MANOVA on rank-transformed data

If the conclusions were substantively similar, stop there. Otherwise, consider what specific transformations were advisable.

"