Re: st: bivariate correlation analsis for longitudinal data

From   "Michael N. Mitchell" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: bivariate correlation analsis for longitudinal data
Date   Mon, 24 May 2010 09:38:04 -0700

Dear Junqing

My apologies for misreading your first email... I only saw the term "bivariate" but overlooked that you used the term "correlation". My standard script kicked in about the steps for doing bivariate regressions as a first step for a random effects model. I have not given much thought to looking at correlations in the context that you describe beyond what you have already done. Perhaps someone else on the list has more experience with this idea than myself.

Thanks for following up and gently noting my misunderstanding!

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/dmus.html
A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/vgsg.html
Stata tidbit of the week         - http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com

On 2010-05-24 8.52 AM, [email protected] wrote:
Thanks, Michael. I wonder there is a way to get the generalized Person
between-variable and cross-time correlation coefficients without fitting
regression models.

The regression will give the regression coficient. But I am not sure how
the regression will give the person bivaiare correltaions at each time
point.

Junqing

    >  Greetings Junqing

   If you have not done so already, you probably want to reshape your data
into a "long" format (e.g., see
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/modules/reshapel.htm).

   Having the data in a long format, you can then look at bivariate
relationships between a continous predictor and continuous outcome
like this (using the nlswork dataset as an example).

. webuse nlswork
. xtmixed ln_wage tenure || idcode:

   The above looks at "tenure" predicting "ln_wage", with no random
effects at level 2. If you are interested in assessing the variability
of "tenure" as a random slope, you can do something like this...

. xtmixed ln_wage tenure || idcode: tenure, cov(un)

   As I mentioned in a previous post, I cannot recommend the following
book highly enough for learning and as a reference for longitudinal
analysis...

   Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis: Modeling Change and Event Occurrence
by Judith D. Singer&  John B. Willett, see
http://gseacademic.harvard.edu/alda/

I hope this helps,