Re: st: question about 3sls using the reg3 command

From   JOSE A ALEMAN <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: question about 3sls using the reg3 command
Date   Thu, 20 May 2010 21:13:15 -0400

Hi Austin,

To answer your question, my dependent variables can only take the values 0,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 in one case, and 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or
10 in the other. How would this affect estimation?

Thanks,

Jose

             Austin Nichols
             <austinnichols@gm
             ail.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  [email protected]
             owner-statalist@h                                          cc
             sphsun2.harvard.e
             du                                                    Subject
                                       Re: st: question about 3sls using
                                       the reg3 command
             05/20/2010 08:55
             PM

             Please respond to
             statalist@hsphsun
               2.harvard.edu

JOSE A ALEMAN <[email protected]> :
In short, no, but see
http://www.cgdev.org/content/publications/detail/1421516

-reg3- is for linear models, like OLS or -ivreg2-, and ordinal or
fractional or nonnegative dependent variables present problems; there
are several alternative approaches which are not very appealing, but
-cmp- is probably your bet best.  You should probably compare your
output there to the closest linear analog of each model using -ivreg2-
since -ivreg2- will give you a wealth of specification tests and
simple interpretations (all of which will be wrong, but might be
approximately right, given the hypothesized nonlinearity).

Do your dependent variables take on any real value between 0 and N, or
integers or some other small subset, and are the endpoints included?
l.e. is y1 in [0,8] or (0,8) or {0,1,...8} or what?  These are
important distinctions...