st: RE: R for Stata Users

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: R for Stata Users
Date   Thu, 20 May 2010 13:23:56 -0400

Several Statalisters emailed me in the past month asking to advise them when "R for Stata Users" (Springer) would be finally published. There was a delay in printing all new Springer books due to new software they obtained, which was to be used for printing both hard and electrinic copy. When Springer tried it, the software failed and produced various problems. Fixes had to be made, which took time. Anyhow, the book was published May 7th. I just received my copies yesterday.

The book, by Robert Muenchen (Univ of Tennessee) -- author of "R for SAS and SPSS Users" -- and myself, was written for those Stata users who also want to learn R. Many journal articles and books use R for examples. To better understand them it is necessary to obtain a basic knowledge of R - which this text aims to teach. I in no way would ever give up Stata as my primary, and foremost, statistical application. Stata is much easier to use than R and has a truly wide range of capabilities -- and I just like it. But, if you do find yourself in need of learning R, for whatever reason, we have tried to make it easier by focusing on the functional relationships that exist between Stata and R.

Joseph Hilbe