RE: st: Duan smearing for retransformation

From   "Bontempo, Daniel E" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Duan smearing for retransformation
Date   Tue, 18 May 2010 11:57:21 -0500

Thanks for the followup.

So if I understand, the smearing is needed when ln(E(y|x)) because
simply taking exp(x*b) is insufficient. BUT in the GLM I can simply take
exp(x*B).

I agree the random coefficients are less clear, but I could live with
that.

Without log transform or link (i.e., modeling the skewed distribution)
xtmixed and gllamm are giving somewhat different results for the fixed
effects, and markedly different results for the random effects. This is
why I decided to compare gllamm with link(log) to xtmixed using
log-transformed DV with smearing correction.

I think I will gather my thoughts and see if I have a questions about
why xtmixed and gllamm results differ so much with skewed data.

Thanks again,
-Daniel