st: AW: RE: AW: RE: RE: reshape command ---listing all the variables changing over time?

Subject   st: AW: RE: AW: RE: RE: reshape command ---listing all the variables changing over time?
Date   Fri, 14 May 2010 13:27:40 +0200

<>

" I can't see where that's promised or implied."

Amanda`s post did keep me busy last night due to this slight inconsistency
in the help file. If you let Stata

*************
reshape wide x, i(id) j(j)
*************

in my example, it complains:

x ambiguous abbreviation
r(111);

So that points to the expansion of a -varlist-, as in

***
clear
foreach var of newlist x1-x5{
	gen `var'=2
}
unab mylocal: x
***

All of which the help file does not make clear. Still, the variable names
thus passed to Stata are actually used as "stubs" for the wide form dataset:

. reshape wide x1-x5, i(id) j(j)
(note: j = 1 2 3)

Data                               long   ->   wide
-
Number of obs.                      300   ->     100
Number of variables                  12   ->      21
j variable (3 values)                 j   ->   (dropped)
xij variables:
                                     x1   ->   x11 x12 x13
                                     x2   ->   x21 x22 x23
                                     x3   ->   x31 x32 x33