Re: st: Comparing Variable Name Labels Between Datasets

From   Michael Norman Mitchell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Comparing Variable Name Labels Between Datasets
Date   Thu, 13 May 2010 19:54:52 -0700

Dear Beth

This is quite a challenging task, but I feel that you have laid it out in a very sensible manner. I have one question regarding "step c".

  Are you interested in

1) comparing the "names of the variable labels" between the datasets. That is, the variable "gender" is labeled with the value label "mf" in the first dataset. The variable "gender" is also labeled with "mf" in the second dataset. But, "mf" is labeled with "sex" in the third dataset.

  or are you interested in

2) comparing the "values and labels" for the variable labels for the variables across datasets. That is, the variable "gender" is labeled with "mf" in the first dataset, and the values are "0 = male" and "1 = female" in the first dataset. But, in the second dataset, the variable "gender" which is labeled with "mf" is labeled as "1 = male" and "2 = female".

  Perhaps you are interested in checking both of these?

Best regards,

Michael N. Mitchell
See the Stata tidbit of the week at...
http://www.MichaelNormanMitchell.com