st: metan: can data be pooled when one has mean before and after scores, but not the mean difference?

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
To   Statalist Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: metan: can data be pooled when one has mean before and after scores, but not the mean difference?
Date   Mon, 10 May 2010 09:52:18 -0700

Hello Statalist members,
The following example in the -metan- command (sbe24_3) performs meta- analysis of continuous means, in which the syntax calls for effect size mean, sample size and standard deviation from both the treatment and control groups.

. metan tsample tmean tsd csample cmean csd,
> by(type_study) sgweight fixed second(random)
> rfdist counts label(namevar = id)
> favours(Treatment reduces blood pressure # Treatment increases blood pressure)

My question is whether data can be pooled when one has the mean values of "before treatment" and "after treatment" for each of two treatment groups, but not the mean difference?

Best wishes,

Michael McCulloch
Pine Street Foundation
124 Pine Street