st: RE: AW: AW: RE: -ciplot- -eclplot- combine with box-options?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: AW: RE: -ciplot- -eclplot- combine with box-options?
Date   Sun, 9 May 2010 18:21:40 +0100

It's a pity that Marc missed a (simpler) solution with -stripplot- that
requires no dataset manipulation at all.

sysuse bpwide

stripplot bp_before bp_after , by(sex, compact) stack vertical bar
height(0.2)

gets you there directly.

If you really want only the c.i. bars, so that the data points are
suppressed, that's perverse, but you can do it too:

stripplot bp_before bp_after , by(sex, compact) vertical bar boffset(0)
ms(none) xsc(r(0.8 2.2))

In short, -stripplot- for two or more variables and two or more groups
requires -by()- not -over()-. As program writer, I saw no point trying
to re-create a complicated set-up when -by()- does it for you for free.

Kaulisch, Marc

Okay, it seems that -statsby- does the trick together with -dsconcat-
(ssc).

Preliminary without labels etc:

sysuse bpwide
tempfile tf1 tf2
statsby mean1=r(mean) ub1=r(ub) lb1=r(lb) N1=r(N), by(agegrp)
saving(`tf1') subsets total: ci bp_before
statsby mean2=r(mean) ub2=r(ub) lb2=r(lb) N2=r(N), by(agegrp)
saving(`tf2') subsets total: ci bp_after
dsconcat `tf1' `tf2'
twoway rcap ub1 lb1 agegrp || scatter mean1 agegrp || rcap ub2 lb2
agegrp || scatter mean2 agegrp

Kaulisch, Marc

Nick,

Thanks a lot for this extensive answer. I learn a lot. I haven't had
time yet to go deeper in the opportunities to work with statsby (will do
this later). But experimenting with -stripplot- I come very early to an
end...

I would like to create a graph such as
. sysuse bpwide
. graph hbox bp_before bp_after, over(sex) over(agegrp), sort(1)
descending)

But I do not want a boxplot but a ci-bar as in stripplot...

-stripplot- does not allow two vars with over.

. ciplot bp_before bp_after, by(agegrp)
looks closer to my interest...