AW: st: U.S. Census Data

Subject   AW: st: U.S. Census Data
Date   Thu, 6 May 2010 17:03:07 +0200

<>

But careful with such examples: They do not say much about Nate`s problem as
you are creating the default data type after -gen- which is "float". It
occupies 4 bytes, as in http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/howbig.html.
Strings in particular could change the picture.

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Abdel Rahmen El
Lahga
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2010 16:49
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: U.S. Census Data

This basicaly a memory problem. Stata can handle bigger data set. YOu
say nothing about your OS nor the maximum RAM of your computers
In my iMac with 4G RAM the following code works fine
. clear*

. set mem 3g
(3145728k)

. set obs 30000000
obs was 0, now 30000000

. foreach i of numlist 1/15 {
  2. gen x`i'=rnormal()
  3. }

.
end of do-file

Abdel

2010/5/6 Nate Breznau <[email protected]>:
> I am wanting to end my usage of SPSS, and in general have successfully
done
> so; however, in a project working with U.S. Census data I need to use a
> datafile that has over 30 million cases and 15 variables. This is the
> smallest version I can use for my purposes. Is there any way to alter
Stata
> to work with such a monster file? I've pushed it to its maximum allowed
> memory and its not enough.
>
> I thank anyone kindly for any advice, no matter how dismal.
>
> -Nate
>
> --
> PhD Fellow
> Social Integration and the Welfare State
> BIGSSS
> FVG W1150
> 0421 218 66384
>
> *