Re: st: how to find the integral for a portion of a normal distribution.

Subject   Re: st: how to find the integral for a portion of a normal distribution.
Date   Tue, 4 May 2010 16:03:33 -0400

Buzz Burhans
My question here, technicalities aside, is why you think that the
normal distribution is a good fit to milk yields. A earlier post in
the thread already warned that the normal distribution with your
parameters has substantial probability below zero. This publication,
for what it's worth-I haven't read it, found a modified Weibull
distribution to be a good fit to milk
yields.((http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8046070) ) If you have
prior data, then -kdensity- will overlay the best fitting Normal on
top of a nonparametric estimated, and there are other diagnostic plots
in Stata (-help diagnostic plots-) You can fit parameters to the
Weibull and related distributions with -streg-. The Weibull is also
easy to simulate because there is a closed-form version of the
cumulative probability distribution.
Steve

Steven Samuels
[email protected]