Re: st: random allocation three-way cross-over design

Subject   Re: st: random allocation three-way cross-over design
Date   Sat, 1 May 2010 14:19:31 -0400

There is an -ntreat()- option in -ralloc- and ntreat(3) is legal.
However -ralloc- is intended to allocate different subjects to
treatments in randomized clinical trials, not cross-over studies. DR
Cox, 1958, Planning of Experiments, Wiley, page 271, states that, if
there are no carry-over effects, the appropriate design is a 3 x 3
Latin square in which each treatment occurs equally often in each
period and each subject. When there are carry-over effects, the design
should also ensure that "each treatment follows each other treatment
the same number of times" (p. 273). I am sure that there is a more
recent literature on cross-over designs, and I suggest that you
consult it.

Steve