AW: st: drawnorm for discrete variables

Subject   AW: st: drawnorm for discrete variables
Date   Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:05:00 +0200

<>

" The same strategy will work for creating categorical variables with more
categoreis.  Just increase the number of threasholds to k-1, where k is the
number of categories."

The -irecode()- strategy recommended earlier
<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-04/msg01757.html> may come in
handy for this purpose.

HTH
Martin

Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Hollis,Michael
Gesendet: Freitag, 30. April 2010 15:59
An: [email protected]
Betreff: RE: st: drawnorm for discrete variables

If  you believe your categorical variables are observed realizations of an
underlying normal distribution, set a series of "threasholds" defining how
the categorical variables correspond to the underlying continuous normally
distributed variable.  Use this correspondence to create your series of
observed categorical variables.

For example, let y* be an unobserved normally distributed variable with mean
0 and variance 1.  Assume that you want to create an observed binary
variable, y, for which you belive the underlying proportion of "1"s in the
population is 0.40.  Then if y* (the continuous normally distributed value
you generate) is >= -0.253 (the z value corresponding to p=.4), set y=1 with
y=0 otherwise.  The same strategy will work for creating categorical