st: RE: AW: Creating index relative to other observations

From   "Frederick Guy" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: Creating index relative to other observations
Date   Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:15:12 +0100

Thanks, I guess I was unclear on this aspect of the problem. For each observation, the sum I'm talking about is of measurements made relative to all other observations (or more generally, to some set of other observations) in the sample.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Martin Weiss
Sent: 29 April 2010 19:09
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: AW: Creating index relative to other observations

<>

".. sum up the results of these computations,".

Creating sums can mean different things in Stata. It may sound trite, but
the easiest is simply to -generate- a sum by adding values with a "+" sign.
If you want the total of a variable, look at -egen, total()-. If you want a
running sum, take a look at -help sum()-.

HTH
Martin