Re: st: RE: clustered standard errors

Subject   Re: st: RE: clustered standard errors
Date   Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:07:43 -0400

Robert,

Are  any of the "local forces" or "national forces" identical for all
voters in a region?  For those forces that do not vary within a
region, your sample size is effectively n = 17.

It appears that regions are not "clusters", but are strata, which by
definition are units that together constitute the entire population of
interest. One approach to this  analysis, and the one I recommend in
absence of other information,  is  to treat regional differences as
fixed effects , and to use Stata's -svyset- command to specify the
design. The strata  would be the original strata in the 17 surveys,
suitably coded so that there are no duplicate numbers.  In the
analysis, you would have a fixed indicator of region, but also
regional variables that might explain the regional differences.

Although the samples in each region can be considered random,  they
are not "simple random samples". Pooling the samples without
adjustment for the original sample designs will give  biased estimates
(if the analysis is not weighted) and improper standard errors.

-Steve

Steven Samuels
[email protected]
18 Cantine's Island