st: RE: Graphing the median of a list of variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Graphing the median of a list of variables
Date   Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:12:09 +0100

No; I would use -collapse- first.

collapse (p50) question*, by(year)

After that, it's just a -line- plot. I'd put year on the x axis; any
other design may seem less intuitive to your readership.

By the way, even though the data are Likert scales, in my experience
means in practice often do a much better job of summarising level
(regardless of measurement theory).

Jeremy Voros

Stata newbie here with a question I'm having trouble finding an answer
for. I would like to create a line graph with variables along the x-axis
and their median on the y-axis, with a different line for each variable
based on the cohort year. Here's the details:

My database of likert-scale survey data looks basically like this:

|      id     |     year     |     question1     |      question2     |
question3     |     etc...
|      5      |     1999     |         1         |          4         |
3         |
|      5      |     2001     |         3         |          4         |
2         |
|      6      |     1999     |         3         |          5         |
4         |

So ultimately I'd like a graph with question1, question2...questionX
along the x-axis, and the median of each variable on the y-axis, with a
different line for each year.

I feel like it should involve tabstat or reshape somehow, but can't
manage to work it out. Any help appreciated.