Re: st: about multi-stage stratified sampling designing

Subject   Re: st: about multi-stage stratified sampling designing
Date   Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:30:44 -0500

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:51 AM, ��<[email protected]> wrote:
> Because of research, I am working a database which is multi-stage
> stratified systematic sampling designing. Specially, it adopted three
> kinds of multi-stage stratified sampling designing that I couldn’t use
> the normal STATA command- svyset. And how can I do it?
>
> By the way, The database managers suggested that users handle the
> weight by SUDAAN(statistical software) and they released the examples
> of result. There was a post-stratification weight so that I tried to
> use the STATA command-poststrata. Unfortunately the results differed
> from using SUDAAN. SUDAAN declared the sampling designing(strata, psu)
> and post-weight and the way of STATA used the post-stratification and
> post-weight.  Could you tell me what the different between them?

What are the SUDAAN design specification that were suggested? I don't
think there's anything left in SUDAAN that Stata cannot do.

With plain vanilla systematic sampling, there is no way to estimate
the variance. That is to say, you can use any design statements in
Stata, but none of them will give meaningful estimates. One needs to
use some special tricks at the design/sampling stage, such as using
several seed/threads of sampling to create an effective 2
interpenetrating PSU/stratum design.