Re: st: margeff/margins discrepancy

Subject   Re: st: margeff/margins discrepancy
Date   Sun, 25 Apr 2010 22:47:59 -0500

At 09:14 PM 4/25/2010, Michael Mitchell wrote:
Greetings

 Hmmm... ran your code and I get the same coefficient and se from
-margeff- and -margins- using Stata 11, see below

  Did I do something wrong not to get different results?

It is not often that we get questions like this -- "Did I do something wrong that caused me to get the correct results?" :)

Personally, I get different results from the two programs, margeff and margins. Why you get it right, I don't know. Are you using the same versions of Stata and margeff as everyone else? If so, is there any chance that at some point you patched your margeff and have since forgotten about it? Here is what I get.

. which margeff
c:\ado\plus\m\margeff.ado
*! Obtain partial effects after estimation
*! Version 2.2.0  (20 August 2009)    (Revision of Stata Journal submission)
*! Author:        Tamas Bartus        (Corvinus University, Budapest)

. update query
(contacting http://www.stata.com)

Stata executable
    folder:               C:\Program Files\Stata11\
    name of file:         StataSE.exe
    currently installed:  20 Apr 2010
    latest available:     20 Apr 2010

Ado-file updates
    folder:               C:\Program Files\Stata11\ado\updates\
    names of files:       (various)
    currently installed:  20 Apr 2010
    latest available:     20 Apr 2010

Utilities updates
    folder:               C:\Program Files\Stata11\utilities
    names of files:       (various)
    currently installed:  11 Feb 2010
    latest available:     11 Feb 2010

Recommendation