RE: st: to replace just one character of values of a variabl

Subject   RE: st: to replace just one character of values of a variabl
Date   Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:53:31 +0200

<>
Not so, as you have found out already. My mobile has no Stata, so I am  not able to comment authoritatively, but look at -help subinstr-.

HTH
Martin

-original message-
Subject: st: to replace just one character of values of a variabl
From: carmen gamarra <[email protected]>
Date: 25-04-2010 21:09

<>

Hello people,

I imagined that a variation of the same command
*****
drop if strpos(mystrvar, "`=char(191)'")!=0
*********
 could be used to replace just one character of values of a variable.

I tried this but didn't function

*****
replace if strpos(var1, "`=char(64)'")!=0
*********

Please Help me!

Thanks Carmen

<>

Stata will delete those happily if you find a way to tell it what to -drop-.
In this case, -ssc d asciiplot- by Nick Cox tells you which number to pass
to -char()- to check for the presence of the character:

*******
clear*

inp str10 mystrvar
"hello"
"goo¿d-bye"
"he¿lo"
"goo¿d-bye"
"hello"
"hello"
end

list, noo

drop if strpos(mystrvar, "`=char(191)'")!=0

list, noo
*******

HTH
Martin

<>

hello people,

Another question, stata could delete
all the row of a variable containing characters like
"¿", for example.

Thanks Carmen