Re: st: Interesting Stata Information

Subject   Re: st: Interesting Stata Information
Date   Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:24:56 -0400

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Michael Norman Mitchell
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Sergiy
>
>  Oh dear! I had assumed that all of the information there had been
> contributed by the creators. Are you saying that your material was put there
> without your permission? I certainly would not want encourage a resource
> that is doing that. If you, or anyone, feels that your material is there
> without your permission, you can submit a DMCA complaint form (see below)
> and they will take the material down.

Dear Michael, there is no drama about it. I am sure you wanted to
share a link to
a valuable source of information with the best intentions. That presentation was
public anyways, but I didn't put it on this site.

2Nick: this prohibition has no enforcement. I don't have any intention to
legally prosecute this site. But I feel I can express the protest
against crawling
the web for *.doc, *.ppt, *.xls, and *.pdf content, mechanically putting it on
another site and decorating it with irrelevant advertisements, or even
more seriously
harming businesses (here I mean book publishers, not my presentations of course)
and making money out of it.

One argument I can accept is that the creators of the site were motivated by the
desire to preserve the content of all these files in case they disappear from
corresponding sites where they are released. However, this can be done in a
more civilized manner, like the WayBackMachine is doing it:
http://web.archive.org/web/19961206181206/http://www.stata.com/
(see the "Stata 5.0 now shipping!" announcement :).

Some documents are just not supposed to be public or are legally protected
by the copyright laws and should not be exposed in the manner these sites
are doing it. For example, full-text books, are of concern. CRC does not have
an open-access full text of "A Handbook of Statistical Analyses Using Stata"
on their own website. I seriously doubt they gave permission to put it to
docstoc.com.

The moral dilemma of "Copyright" vs. "Preservation" as applied to software is
(in my opinion) very well explained in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware
and the links from there.

Best wishes, Sergiy