st: match values of several variables

From   "Cris Dogaru (Oregon State University)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: match values of several variables
Date   Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:26:28 +0200

Dear all,

I have a longitudinal data in which they asked, at different data
collection points, the year of birth for the subject's mother; the
variables are named based on the year of data collection (i.e.,
birthyear_98, birthyear_99, etc).
One would expect the values of these varables to match (if it's the
same person), but they don't. I'd like to find an easy way to check if
several variables have the same value or not, irrespective of the
missing values. For now I am using the grouping () option in egen, and
recode by hand the mismatched cases. However, as I am adding new cases
to the dataset, the coding needs to be redone every time.

Any suggestion is more than wellcome.

Cristian Dogaru
ISPM, University of Bern