Re: st: Using egen and by efficiently when some observations are missing

Subject   Re: st: Using egen and by efficiently when some observations are missing
Date   Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:46:21 -0400

Paul Novosad <[email protected]> :
Inefficient in terms of time, for sure, as you are taking about 20
times as long as you need to for the computation.  Try this on for
size:

clear
range country 1 100 100
expand 10000
g i=1 if uniform()<.1
g condition=uniform()<.2
set rmsg on
sort country
by country: egen tmp = count(i) if condition == 1
by country: egen count_i = max(tmp)
drop tmp
by country: gen long c_i = sum(i<. & condition==1)
by country: replace c_i = c_i[_N]
set rmsg off
compress
su