st: RE: AW: How to Use Statalist

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: How to Use Statalist
Date   Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:40:52 +0100

On #1, an obvious tactic is to keep an eye on the archives, either at
Harvard or at StataCorp. You can copy and paste stuff from any archived
posting into your mailer. You have lost the ability to reply to
individual postings which by definition you don't get, which makes your
post a little awkward to archive itself, but that's not a big deal.

On #2, the archives at StataCorp are more searchable by keyword than
those at Harvard.
Searching titles rather than content can miss much.

Martin Weiss

(1) is covered in
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#more
I would say

(2) is best achieved by deleting stuff you recognize as irrelevant to
you
from the subject line. Some email clients manage to sort "by
conversation"
topic, although my Outlook 2007 still fails miserably at this all the
time...

[email protected]

A preface: If this has been discussed on another site, resource or an
old
thread, I apologize and just link to it.

Currently, I _subscribe to the digested statalist, because otherwise my
inbox is a mess.

However, I'd like to be able to:

(1) respond to questions without the "digest-delay".

(2) filter threads to key words that cover my interest/expertise.

If anyone has a nice setup she/he likes to share (preferably Mail for
Mac OS
10.6) - thank you very much.