Re: st: Several quantile plots in one diagram

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Several quantile plots in one diagram
Date   Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:49:09 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 21/4/10, Widerstedt Barbro wrote:
> I have a panel dataset with 6 years, and I would like to
> plot the distribution of a variable in a quantile plot
> for each year in this panel. I have installed quantil2,
> which causes Stata to shut down when I try to save the
> graph. There seems to be upgrades (quantil2 is pretty
> old), but because of firewall restrictions on the remote
> workstation where Stata resides, I can't search or
> install from STATA. I can't find the update qplot or
> other updrage mentioned in e.g. Stata Journal
> 2006(4) on SSC. Where can I find this functionality?
> (I use Stata 10)

You can always recreate the graph from first principle.
In the example below I assume you want to display these
distribution in the same plot. This plot is basically
just a scatter plot. All you need to do is create the
so called "plotting positions", that is, the values on
the x-axis. This is discussed in this Stata FAQ:
<http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/pcrank.html>

In the example below the rep78 variable takes the
place of your year variable.

*-------------- begin example ---------------------
sysuse auto, clear
recode rep78 1/2=3

// create plotting positions
gen byte mis = missing(price,rep78)
bys rep78 mis (price) : gen int i = _n if mis == 0
bys rep78 mis         : gen int n = _N if mis == 0
gen hazen = (i - .5) / n

twoway scatter price hazen if rep78 ==3 || ///
       scatter price hazen if rep78 ==4 || ///
       scatter price hazen if rep78 ==5,   ///
       legend(order(1 "Average"            ///
                      "or worse"           ///
                    2 "Good"               ///
                    3 "Excellent" ))       ///
       xtitle("fraction of the data")      ///
       ytitle("quantiles of price")
*--------------- end example ------------------------
(For more on examples I sent to the Statalist see:
http://www.maartenbuis.nl/example_faq )

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis