Re: st: Use of weights from Current Population Survey, March Supplement

Subject   Re: st: Use of weights from Current Population Survey, March Supplement
Date   Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:50:19 -0400

I don't know which CPS data set you are using.   However  without
using Stata's survey commands you will not get correct standard
errors.   CPS supplies  jackknife replicate weights for computing
standard errors and you must identify them in a -svyset- statement, as
at http://cps.ipums.org/cps/repwt.shtml.  In general you would use
pweights for survey sampling, but  cps.ipums page specifies an
[iweight=] statement, because the weights can be negative.  If you do
not use the replicate information than all of your standard errors
will be incorrect.

Steve

2010/4/15 Mónica Guadalupe Chávez Elorza <[email protected]>:
> I am using Stata 11.0 to analyze the Current Population Survey.
> Specifically, weights on this survey are nonintegers, therefore when
> using frequency weigths - fw=marsupwt- sends the following message:
> may not use noninteger frequency weights.
>
> I came out with two options, but which should I used? and Why?
>
> 1. To use the importance weight -iw=marsupwt-, which allows the use of
> noninteger values, or
> 2. To generate a new weight, rounded to the nearest integer and that
> for those values that are negatives, values are set to zero.
>
> Any recommendations about the use of either option? Thanks!
> --
> Monica Guadalupe Chavez Elorza
> Doctorado en Politica Publica
> EGAP - ITESM
>
> Oficina +52 (81) 8625 8360
> Movil +52 (1) 811 414 7411
>
> Edificio EGAP 5to piso
> Av. Fundadores y Rufino Tamayo S/N
> San Pedro Garza Garcia, N.L., México.  CP 66269
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Steven Samuels
[email protected]