st: how to do fixed effects with weights? (problem using svy: with xtreg, fe)

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: how to do fixed effects with weights? (problem using svy: with xtreg, fe)
Date   Sun, 11 Apr 2010 15:43:49 -0400

I am analyzing longitudinal data on children's educational achievement using the "xtreg, fe" command. My challenge is that I can't seem to weight the data with the "svy:" command when running a fixed effects model. I am working with Early Childhood Longitudinal Study-Kindergarten Cohort data from the National Center for Education Statistics; the study employed a multistage probability sample design (with three stages).

As advised by a technical consultant at the American Institutes for Reserach, I am currently "survey setting" the data using replicate weights as follows:
svyset [pweight=c1_5fp0], jkrweight( c1_5fp1-c1_5fp90, multiplier(1))

I then attempted to run the fixed effects model with this syntax:
svy jacknife: xtreg ztime incneed married momwork numchild, i(childid2) fe

I receive the following error message:
xtreg is not supported by svy with vce(jackknife)

I checked the official Stata help pages, and they simply say that svy does not support xtreg. They do not offer a solution. I tried using xi to create dummies for each child, but even with matsize and maxvar set to the maximum permitted, the models still won't run. (There are nearly 20,000 children in the dataset.) Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help, as I am a novice at working with survey data!