RE: st: Odds ratio

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Odds ratio
Date   Fri, 9 Apr 2010 15:05:17 +0100

This brings in a major point which has held true for several centuries: odds may seem most familiar to those who repeatedly gamble on the outcome of games of chance, the relative speeds of various animals, the outcomes of elections, etc., etc.

One biography of Cardano (Cardan, Cardanus) had the subtitle "the gambling scholar".

Marcello Pagano

Historical footnote.
The first book on probability, written by a European, I should add,
Girolamo Cardano in 1526 dealt with odds.