st: Replacing certain characters in variable labels.

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Replacing certain characters in variable labels.
Date   Fri, 9 Apr 2010 13:59:28 +0200

This seems to be a character encoding error. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding

Different Software may use different encodings.

I don't find the example text string on the net so I can't guess the character encoding involved.

There are translation routines available (e.g. see Wikipedia article or some database software) which may be the most secure way to handle this. If you're sure that only a few characters have to be translated, the manual conversion might be the easiest solution.

Stefan

Testing german umlauts on the list: ü - ä - ö - ß  (ue - ae - oe - sharp-s)