Re: st: Inverse hyperbolic sine transformation

Subject   Re: st: Inverse hyperbolic sine transformation
Date   Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:08:22 -0500

Stephane Mahuteau <[email protected]>:
If you are willing to assume homoskedastic errors, you can get
consistent estimates of the predicted outcomes y conditional on X
using the "smearing" estimator proposed by Duan
(http://www.jstor.org/stable/2288126).  If you are doing this because
you have a nonnegative skewed dependent variable, you are better off
with -poisson- or another model in that family, which will give you
much better estimates of the predicted outcomes conditional on X,
directly, with no additional work associated with back-transformation.
You can also get estimates of y conditional on X and y>0. What does
your model look like?  What are the X and y variables?