Re: st: RE: AW: merge

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: AW: merge
Date   Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:55:31 -0600

<>

Hi Dale:

I still don't think we have enough info here.  Also, you haven't answered Martin's question about the _merge variable.

I couldn't reproduce an example of a merge 1:m on a single matched variable (id) where Stata would drop only some of the observations in only one of the using variables (your initial post indicated that the using variable (comorbid) was dropping out of the merge entirely, which is different from how you describe it in your latest email); that is, it is quite possible for there to be unmatched cases across all the using variables, but I'm not sure how it happened for only SOME of the cases of only ONE of the using variables.

Could you include an example of the master and using data showing some observations that merged properly and some that didn't (including the _merge variable)?  Also, give us the exact command you used to merge (I assume you didn't merge it to the entire /data folder...were there some other options in the -merge- command that got truncated?).

Finally, you might try switching the master and using data and using -merge 1:m- or even -joinby- to see if you could get those 41k dropped observations to merge in another scenario (even if that's not the result you want, you can do this just to see if it works or produces some kind of useful error message).

~ Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute